Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #829
CrazyConnie
Kubes Champion, Cocktail Bar Champion, House of Chocolates Champion, Bejeweled Twist Blitz Champion, Eva Star Champion, Fling a Thing Champion, Math Lines Champion, !Dots! Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Bejeweled 3 Champion, Crusher Champion, Beadles Champion, Metal Monster II Champion, Flash Stars Champion, Jewel Quest Champion, Candy Match Champion, Color Blast Champion

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $43582
Give Thanks: 93
Re: This Day In Rock History

This Day In Rock History: Feb 9th

1964: The Beatles made their American live debut on The Ed Sullivan Show & performed a five song set including the number one single that week “I Want to Hold Your Hand”. The show had received more than 50,000 applications for the 728 seats in the studio.

1985: Don Henley peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart with “The Boys of Summer” which was his second top ten single as a solo artist in the U.S.

Birthdays:
Rachel Bolan-bassist for Skid Row born in 1966

source: paulshaffersdayinrock
CrazyConnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #830
CrazyConnie
Kubes Champion, Cocktail Bar Champion, House of Chocolates Champion, Bejeweled Twist Blitz Champion, Eva Star Champion, Fling a Thing Champion, Math Lines Champion, !Dots! Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Bejeweled 3 Champion, Crusher Champion, Beadles Champion, Metal Monster II Champion, Flash Stars Champion, Jewel Quest Champion, Candy Match Champion, Color Blast Champion

My Mood:

This Day In Rock History: Feb 9th

1972 - Wings made their concert debut at Nottingham University in England.

1983 - Prince's "Little Red Corvette" was released.

1993 - Mick Jagger released a solo album called "Wandering Spirit."

source: onthisday
Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #831
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Music History: Feb 9th

A few albums that was released.

1970 ● The Mothers Of Invention —— Burnt Weeny Sandwich ► Art Rock

1990 ● The Highwaymen —— Highwayman 2 ► Outlaw Country

1994 ● Stratovarius —— Dreamspace ► Heavy Metal/Power Metal

2010 ● Bad Company —— Hard Rock Live ► Hard Rock

source: drrocksblog&roll
Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #832
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Rock History: Feb 10th

1975, Dave Alexander, the original bassist for The Stooges died from pneumonia aged 27. Alexander met Iggy Pop and formed The Stooges in 1967 and had a hand in arranging, composing and performing all of the songs that appeared on the band's first two albums, The Stooges and Fun House. He was fired from the band in August 1970 after showing up at a gig too drunk to play.

source: thisdayinmusic
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #833
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

1933 Don Wilson (rhythm guitarist for The Ventures) is born in Tacoma, Washington.

1939 Roberta Flack is born in Black Mountain, North Carolina.

1949 Nigel Olsson (drummer for Elton John's band) is born in Wallasey, Cheshire, England.

1968 Rolling Stone magazine offers free roach clips to new subscribers.

1978 Van Halen release their self-titled debut album.

2017 Tom Petty is honored as Person of the Year at the MusiCares gala, held two days before the Grammy Awards. "Twenty years ago I'd have been way too cynical to do this, but I'm 66 now and I feel ya," he says in his speech.

source: calendarsongfacs
Old 02-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #834
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

1970: ZZ Top performed their first concert in Beaumont, TX.

Birthdays:
Cliff Burton-bassist for Metallica born in 1962

Old 02-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #835
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Music History: Feb 10th

A few albums that was released.

1967 ● The Troggs —— Trogglodynamite ► Garage Rock

1969 ● Buffalo Springfield —— Retrospective: The Best Of Buffalo Springfield ► Folk-Rock

1971 ● Carole King —— Tapestry ► Female Vocalist

1971 ● John Cale —— Church Of Anthrax ► Art Rock

1978 ● Little Feat —— Waiting For Columbus ► Southern Rock

Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #836
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Rock History: Feb 11th

1964, The Beatles made their live concert debut in the US at the Washington Coliseum. Over 350 police surrounded the stage to keep the 8,000 plus screaming fans in control. One police officer who found the noise so loud stuck a bullet in each ear as ear plugs. The Beatles had to stop three times and turn Ringo's drum kit around and re-position their microphones so that they faced a different part of the audience. The set list: ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘From Me to You’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’, ‘Twist and Shout’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’.

2012, Whitney Houston was found dead in suite 434 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, submerged in the bathtub. Beverly Hills paramedics arrived at approximately 3:30 p.m. and found the singer unresponsive and performed CPR. Houston was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m. Local police said there were "no obvious signs of criminal intent." It was later ruled by the coroner to have been an "accidental drowning"

source: thisdayinrock
Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #837
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Music History: Feb 11th

A few albums that was released....

1973 ● Blue Öyster Cult —— Tyranny And Mutation ► Heavy Metal

1977 ● Jethro Tull —— Songs From The Wood ► Prog Rock

1985 ● The Firm —— The Firm ► British Rock

1992 ● Cowboy Junkies —— Black Eyed Man ► Alt. Rock

2003 ● Rush —— The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987 ► Prog/Art Rock

Old Today, 06:46 AM   #838
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Rock History: Feb 12th

1939, Born on this day, Ray Manzarek, keyboards, with The Doors, who had the 1967 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Light My Fire' and the 1971 single 'Riders On The Storm'. Manzarek died on 20th May 2013, he had suffered from bile duct cancer for many years. He formed the band with lead singer Jim Morrison in 1965 after a chance meeting in Venice Beach, Los Angeles.

1952, Born on this day, Grammy Award winning American singer and songwriter Michael McDonald, who with The Doobie Brothers had the 1979 US No.1 single 'What A Fool Believes', and the 1993 UK No.7 single 'Long Train Runnin'. He began his career singing back-up vocals with Steely Dan and has also worked with Kenny Loggins, David Cassidy, Van Halen, Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin and Toto.

Old Today, 06:58 AM   #839
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

1946 Joe Schermie (bass player for Three Dog Night) is born Joseph Edward Schermetzler is born in Madison, Wisconsin.

1949 Stanley Knight (lead guitarist for Black Oak Arkansas) is born in Arkansas.

1950 Steve Hackett (guitarist for Genesis) is born in Pimlico, London, England.

source: calendarsongfacts
Old Today, 07:03 AM   #840
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

1981: Rush released Moving Pictures which went on to become their most commercially successful album in the U.S. The album peaked at number three on the Billboard 200 Album Chart the following month & sold over four million copies in the U.S. alone.

Birthdays
Gil Moore-drummer for Triumph born in 1951

Old Today, 07:05 AM   #841
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

1966 - The Rolling Stones' "19th Nervous Breakdown" was released in the U.S.

source: onthisday
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #842
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Music History: Feb 12th

1972 ● The Allman Brothers Band —— Eat A Peach ► Southern Rock

1977 ● The Kinks —— Sleepwalker ► British Rock

1980 ● Bryan Adams —— Bryan Adams ► Pop-Rock

1982 ● XTC —— English Settlement ► New Wave Pop-Rock

2002 ● Chris Isaak —— Always Got Tonight ► AA Pop-Rock

2010 ● Peter Gabriel —— Scratch My Back ► Prog Rock

Old Today, 07:19 AM   #843
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Rock History: Feb 13th

1970, On this day, Friday the 13th, Black Sabbath released their debut self-titled studio album on Vertigo records in the UK. Peaking at No.8 on the charts, the album has been recognised as the first main album to be credited with the development of the heavy metal genre.

2002, American country singer, songwriter Waylon Jennings died in his sleep after a lengthy fight with diabetes. He was bassist for Buddy Holly following the break-up of The Crickets. Released a series of duet albums with Willie Nelson in the late 1970s. Scored the 1980 US No.21 single 'Theme From The Dukes Of Hazzard', he was also the narrator on the television series. Member of The Highwaymen with Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson.

Old Today, 07:22 AM   #844
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

1972 Led Zeppelin is forced to cancel a concert in Singapore when officials won't let them off the plane because of their long hair.

source: classicbands
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #845
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

1942 Peter Tork (of The Monkees) is born Peter Halsten Thorkelson in Washington, D.C.

1944 Rebop Kwaku Baah (percussionist for Traffic, Wings) is born in Konongo, Ghana.

1950 Peter Gabriel (original lead singer for Genesis) is born in Chobham, Surrey, England.

1952 Ed Gagliardi (original bass player for Foreigner) is born in Brooklyn, New York.

1961 Les Warner (drummer for The Cult) is born in London, England.

1961 Henry Rollins (frontman for Black Flag) is born Henry Garfield in Washington, DC.

1965 The Rolling Stones release their third American studio album, The Rolling Stones, Now!, including the hit "Heart Of Stone."

1965 Jr. Walker & the All Stars' "Shotgun" enters the pop and R&B charts.

1967 The Beatles release "Strawberry Fields Forever" as a single in the US, with "Penny Lane" on the flip side.

source: calendarsongfacts
Old Today, 07:38 AM   #846
CrazyConnie

My Mood:

This Day In Music History: Feb 13th

1962 ● Ben E. King —— Ben E. King Sings For Soulful Lovers ► Soul

1965 ● The Ventures —— The Ventures Knock Me Out! ► Rock n Roll Instrumental

1973 ● Three Dog Night —— Around The World With Three Dog Night ► Blue-Eyed Soul

1976 ● Peter Frampton —— Frampton Comes Alive! [UK] ► Arena Rock

1990 ● The Black Crowes —— Shake Your Money Maker ► Southern Rock

1996 ● Jackson Browne —— Looking East ► Folk-Rock