Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

View Poll Results: Which band do you prefer?
Black Keys 3 60.00%
White Stripes 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $44354
Give Thanks: 711
Exclamation The Black Keys vs. the White Stripes!

Which band do you like better? Why?

Black Keys

White Stripes

Last edited by Foxhound : 09-11-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:15 AM   #2
Buckeye Randy
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $1063
Give Thanks: 0
Re: The Black Keys vs. the White Stripes!

I'll start by saying "Seven Nation Army" is an A1 track. Lots of other stuff by The White Stripes seems like stabbing at strange. Strange can be interesting but isn't necessarily the sort of stuff I connect with.

I think the Black Keys are superior as songwriters and deliver a better punch. They are musicians in a truer sense of the word. They've also had double the top ten albums (6-3) and are still at the top of their game with a top 10 release earlier this year.

My favorite song by The Black Keys includes a great '73 vibe!

The following is one of my favorite songs in 2022 by any band, anywhere. I see this being a stadium anthem.

Finally, in White Stripes related news...Jack White released a song earlier this year that will make my year end list. "Help Me Along" is Beatlesque.

Oh yeah, Akron rocks!
Old 09-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $8571
Give Thanks: 309

Interesting comparison....Stripes started in 1997 the Keys in 2001..both with a guitar and drummer....so apparently the Keys borrowed their idea and minimalist blues rock style from the Stripes.
Having said that I like the sound of both bands but Jack White interests me more as an artist with his ideas and I also like his work with Dead Weather and The Raconteurs so he gets my vote.
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #4
Buckeye Randy
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
Interesting comparison....Stripes started in 1997 the Keys in 2001..both with a guitar and drummer....so apparently the Keys borrowed their idea and minimalist blues rock style from the Stripes.
...or they both listened to Medicine Head albums they found lying about....

Medicine Head had six albums in the '70's and certainly had some success. The single "One And One Is One" reached #3 on UK charts.

Vocalist John Fiddler later went on to front the band British Lions which featured former members of Mott The Hoople.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:08 AM   #5
Buckeye Randy
Classic Rocker

Another two piece band is Chicago's Local H. They didn't start as a two piece but due to attrition were a two piece when they signed their first major label contract in 1994 with Island. "Bound For The Floor" was in regular rotation on college radio in 1996. This particular track is a bit grungy as were many songs from the era but it is their best known song. My faves are "All The Kids Are Right", "Half-Life" and "High-Fiving MF". They still put out albums plus tour and are on my 'need to see' list but something ALWAYS comes up. I know somebody that has seen this band double digit times and they love them even though some of the shows are just exercises in drinking. Legend has it they have done shows playing only Cheap Trick songs.

Last year they released their "Awesome Quarantine Mix Tape" doing cover versions and from that is, "Brandy".

Sorry, got carried away thinking about two piece bands. Local H is one of those bands that people should be aware of because it's real rock. Are there any others? No, Chad and Jeremy don't count!
Old 09-07-2022, 10:53 AM   #6
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Randy View Post
...or they both listened to Medicine Head albums they found lying about....

Medicine Head had six albums in the '70's and certainly had some success. The single "One And One Is One" reached #3 on UK charts.

Vocalist John Fiddler later went on to front the band British Lions which featured former members of Mott The Hoople.
I don't see the connection based on that track...many older bands did minimal garage style music....so I guess Stripes and Keys copied that whole scene perhaps and were too cheap to add a bass and keyboard.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Quote:
Another two piece band is Chicago's Local H. They didn't start as a two piece but due to attrition were a two piece when they signed their first major label contract in 1994 with Island. "Bound For The Floor" was in regular rotation on college radio in 1996. This particular track is a bit grungy as were many songs from the era but it is their best known song. My faves are "All The Kids Are Right", "Half-Life" and "High-Fiving MF". They still put out albums plus tour and are on my 'need to see' list but something ALWAYS comes up. I know somebody that has seen this band double digit times and they love them even though some of the shows are just exercises in drinking. Legend has it they have done shows playing only Cheap Trick songs.

Last year they released their "Awesome Quarantine Mix Tape" doing cover versions and from that is, "Brandy".

Sorry, got carried away thinking about two piece bands. Local H is one of those bands that people should be aware of because it's real rock. Are there any others? No, Chad and Jeremy don't count!

They remind me more of a two piece Nirvana than anything else...the guy even looks a little like Cobain.

I always thought that The Keys tried to sound a bit like Canned Heat......Jack White was some kind of strange blues pop garage rock mixed with his own sounds.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #8
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Found these guys by accident....apparently Jimmy Page is a big fan.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:13 AM   #9
Buckeye Randy
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
I don't see the connection based on that track...many older bands did minimal garage style music....so I guess Stripes and Keys copied that whole scene perhaps and were too cheap to add a bass and keyboard.
The other possibility is these guys didn't like sharing drugs and girls with what they considered non essential band members. This probably worked out well for the soundman.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #10
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Quote:
The other possibility is these guys didn't like sharing drugs and girls with what they considered non essential band members. This probably worked out well for the soundman.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #11
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $44354
Give Thanks: 711
Exclamation Re: The Black Keys vs. the White Stripes!

Quote:
I'll start by saying "Seven Nation Army" is an A1 track. Lots of other stuff by The White Stripes seems like stabbing at strange. Strange can be interesting but isn't necessarily the sort of stuff I connect with.
I fully agree on all counts. That's why I'm going with the Black Keys in this one.

I first discovered the Black Keys circa 2007 on this Fat Possum compilation (which I can highly recommend):

It contained the Set You Free track from their Thickfreakness album:

That prompted me to buy Thickfreakness from my favourite mom-and-pop music store on College Street.

I was then quite surprised to hear the familiar sounds of the Black Keys being played in an edgy bar in Kaunas, Lithuania in September of 2014.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote