Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge > Music Polls and Tournaments
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Music Polls and Tournaments A place to run polls or conduct tournaments.

View Poll Results: Which band do you prefer?
Dave Clark Five 7 87.50%
Herman's Hermits 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #37
Black Night
Is a long way from home

Gameroom cash: $2015
Give Thanks: 0
Re: Dave Clark Five vs. Herman's Hermits!

I haven't glossed over their popularity, I merely find it difficult to understand why they got to the heights they did, considering their lack of quality, compared to many others, but I've answered the question really. They were in the right place at the right time, just when there was a huge audience clammering for other British groups. There were many other pop groups over here that had a few years success, and were better than them, but not in the same league as the "proper bands". These betetr groups didn't go to America at the right time though to sell the number of records Herman and Clark did, or get the widespread coverage needed.
Black Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #38
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $35681
Give Thanks: 315
Exclamation Re: Dave Clark Five vs. Herman's Hermits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Night View Post
...I merely find it difficult to understand why they got to the heights they did, considering their lack of quality, compared to many others, but I've answered the question really. They were in the right place at the right time, just when there was a huge audience clammering for other British groups.
Precisely. It doesn't help to have the better product if you don't bring that product to market when it's in demand. The Rolling Stones' in particular had very little in the way of product to offer in the early months of 1964. This only started to change with their release of It's All Over Now in June of 1964.

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #39
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:

I'd pick the Stones, The Kinks, and the Moodies. I would stay in and wash my hair rather than bother with the others, who became stars on the coat tails of the class acts around them. It happens in every era.

Interesting going through the exercise of guessing which of those shows I would have found most tempting had I considered attending them as a thirteen year old on 25 April 1965. Now at the time I still wasn't buying any records and the only record my older sister had was the Elvis Presley single Kiss Me Quick/Suspicion. Therefore my preferences would have arisen almost entirely from what I'd been hearing on CHLO which was my local Top Forty station:

1.(tie) Rolling Stones

I remember really grooving to Play With Fire and The Last Time which were hitting big at the time. I'd also been impressed by their hard-edged bluesy Heart of Stone release. I'm not sure whether or not It's All Over Now had received any air play on CHLO when it was released the previous summer but that January I'd seen the T.A.M.I. Show in which the Stones had played It's All Over Now and Off the Hook both of which were to become early Stones' favourites of mine. But given that the running time of the T.A.M.I. Show was over two hours, I might by April have been hazy on which band played which song.

1.(tie) Kinks and the Moody Blues

The Kinks on the strength of their You Really Got Me, All Day and All of the Night and Tired of Waiting singles. Go Now by the Moody Blues was also hitting big at the time and the two bands for the price of one idea would have appealed to me.

3. Herman's Hermits

While even then I thought Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter was more than a bit hokey, Can't You Hear My Heartbeat and the Silhouettes single that was hitting big in April would have landed the bronze for Herman's Hermits.

4. (tie) Gerry and the Pacemakers

Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying and Ferry Cross the Mersey are still among my very favourite ballads by British Invasion bands.

4. (tie) Dave Clark Five

A big name band with lots of Ed Sullivan Show appearances but nothing they'd released by April 1965 really grabbed me.

All that being said, my interest in attending any of these concerts was minimal at the time and they certainly weren't worth the asking price to me. The Dave Clark Five played two shows in the 4500 seat capacity Treasure Island Gardens hockey arena in my home town of London, Ontario on 3 November 1964. The Rolling Stones then played Treasure Island Gardens on 26 April 1965. I ignored both events. The fact that Treasure Island Gardens was on London's southern outskirts and nearly impossible to reach without a car played only a small part in my disinterest.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #40
Black Night
Is a long way from home

Gameroom cash: $2015
Give Thanks: 0
Re: Dave Clark Five vs. Herman's Hermits!

You may have missed out on those shows, but I missed this one, which was in my home town in 1967. I was only 13, and my Dad wouldn't let me anywhere near, for fear I'd return a drug addict!! What a line up, especially for a small market town in rural England. Always regretted not being able to go.

https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/spaulding-festival.html

https://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/20...alding-67.html

Hendrix, Cream, and Pink Floyd all on one show, and I wasn't there.
Black Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #41
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
I was only 13, and my Dad wouldn't let me anywhere near, for fear I'd return a drug addict!!

Well stoked up on BBQ hot dogs, soft ultra violet lighting and non-stop dancing in the Tulip Bulb Auction Hall until midnight, you would certainly have returned as something. And all for only £1! We grew up in the absolute best of times.

Parents can indeed be funny though. Back in the summer of 1974(?) when I was already 22, I had decided to fulfill a longstanding ambition of mine and attend a Canadian Football League game on a Saturday afternoon between the Edmonton Eskimos and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats that was to take place just under 145 kilometres away in Hamilton:

By 1974 getting to the game was no problem whatsoever since I had a red 1973 Dodge Charger like this one:

Now I'd told my father nothing about this but with a parent's radar he sensed that something irregular must be afoot since I was stirring about on a Saturday morning at about 9:00 AM. When he asked what I was planning, I therefore had to reveal my intentions. Well he went into such histrionics over the cost of my trip (gas, ticket price, etc.) that I just shelved my plan. Meanwhile the total cost for me to see the game would have been not much more than what he eagerly spent on a 24 pack of Labatt's IPA or a 25 ounce bottle of Schenley OFC rye whiskey.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #42
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
The Rolling Stones then appeared on the T.A.M.I. Show which was being made into a concert film on 29 October 1964:

Interesting about that T.A.M.I. Show. It certainly featured a star-studded line up at the time:

The footage for the concert film had been taken from concerts held at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on October 28th and 29th.

The release of the T.A.M.I. Show would prove to be a watershed moment in the Rolling Stones' climb to superstardom. While the Stones were already nipping at the heels of the Beatles in United Kingdom popularity polls, they were just one of many British Invasion bands here in North America. In fact the Stones may have been about fifth in popularity in the United States at the time when it came to British Invasion bands, well behind the Beatles and the Dave Clark Five and just below the Animals and Gerry & the Pacemakers.

But that changed after the release of the T.A.M.I. Show. The Stones had been given the unenviable task of coming on right after the performance of James Brown & the Famous Flames:

Now how were the Stones going to top that? Well they pulled out all stops in trying. The Stones had previously done little more than stand there and play (like the Beatles) in their concerts. But coming on after James Brown at the T.A.M.I. Show they did their best to copy his showmanship. Mick Jagger in particular did his best to add more lively dance moves to his lead singer repertoire:

And it worked! The Stones' popularity in the States absolutely exploded in 1965.

My older sister and I took in the T.A.M.I. Show at a theater in downtown Detroit in early January 1965. Now I remember that I really enjoyed the music and that I thought the movie was good fun. Unfortunately I can't say that any of the individual performances stuck out in my mind partially because the show ran for over two hours. Therefore I quickly forgot which artists I had seen that day. In fact by the late summer of 1967 I'd forgotten that I'd ever seen any footage of the Rolling Stones in concert! I have a clear memory from the fall of 1967 of admiring the pictures of the Stones on the jackets of their December's Children, High Tide and Green Grass and Got Live if You Want It! LPs and wishing that I'd seen them performing on TV:

I don't believe I'd caught any of their appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show to that time and by the time we got cable TV in 1966 and were able to access the U.S. network stations both Shindig! and Hullabaloo were off the air.

Then one afternoon years later around 1974-75 I was watching clips from the T.A.M.I. Show on the TV in the living room. My very old school father (who already happened to be fairly drunk) ducked in from the dining room to see what I was watching. The Rolling Stones were playing I'm Alright. One disgusted glance at the TV was all it took for him to retreat back to the dining room with the concise appraisal "Like s__t you alright!" Say what you will about our parents' generation, but they could be plain-spoken and frank.