Classic Rock Forums  

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Gameroom [0] NFL Pick 'em Arcade
Go Back   Classic Rock Forums > Main Rock Lounge
Home Calendar Gallery FAQDonate

Main Rock Lounge Grab a cold one and discuss anything and everything rock related. Latest news, reviews, polls & tournaments.

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #19
Marshall Stack
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $10317
Give Thanks: 906
Re: Anybody else accused of ruining their kids?

What I have learned... is, there is no manual for parenting and mistakes are made... my wife and I fumbled through the ups & downs... my own childhood was a shocker, I was quite determined to give my three lots of love and support... but raising them balanced and realising they can achieve goals... through study, hard work and not treading on folk. I can only use my past experiences as a child as a benchmark... and I presume every Mom and Dad think they and the offsprings are tops.
I did shudder at the touchline back in the day, when parents were roaring at their kid on the field at a soccer or football match. My kids always used to say"Dad, get a coffee and just watch....please! "
They'd get hugs and congrats after and normally cheeseburger suppers on the way home. At over 60...I'm still learning... when your Daughter accuses you of being" gender assumptive".... I realise the chapter is far from over.
Musically I'm proud to say that all 3 own hi-fi systems and enjoy a vast smorgasbord of sound.....though all 3 don't like Yes.... so clearly I've failed!!??
Marshall Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to Marshall Stack:
Old 06-19-2022, 09:55 PM   #20
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $42153
Give Thanks: 633
Exclamation Re: Anybody else accused of ruining their kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkitna View Post
Hey, should I be criticized or held accountable because my kids like good music? Recently took a little trip with my two brothers and my two kids. I told my 11 year old son he could pick the first CD. He immediately said Zombies and handed me 'Odessy and Oracle' to play. I throw it in and he and my 9 year old daughter proceed to sing the entire cd (my sons favorite is 'Butchers Tale' and the daughter likes 'Hung Up On Dream'). Anyways, my oldest brother sat there and said that I had ruined my kids. He said they'll be social outcasts because of the music they like. None of their friends will like it. Heh, maybe he's right, but isnt it worth it to not have to listen to Hannah Montana cd's on a three hour trip?

(The daughter chose 'Revolver' and my brother hates the Beatles, so I relished in that.)

Just thought it was funny.
Kids who like the Zombies and Revolver by the Beatles? Great stuff!

Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:00 PM   #21
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

We all look back and decide to avoid our parents' mistakes - and then make different ones of our own raising kids. And so the cycle continues somewhat like a pendulum.

Last edited by Foxhound : 06-24-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #22
FreeBadCo
Classic Rocker

Give Thanks: 40

I have 4 Daughters and none show an interested in my music. My oldest is almost 13 and likes Electronica/DJ music. My two middle children like mostly popular music. My youngest is 18 months and will dance to just about anything. Every once in a while my oldest will walk by and say a song I'm playing isn't bad.
FreeBadCo is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #23
dr wu
Dr Prog

My Mood:

Gameroom cash: $7183
Give Thanks: 188

'Raising kids is difficult because you always feel like you are failing.....'

as to music most people latch onto the sounds of their own generation...but my daughters do like some classic rock and so does my granddaughter but they mostly listen to music from their time frames. and now. I'm into prog rock and they aren't really into that at all....except maybe Pink Floyd which they all seem to like.
dr wu is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 05:07 PM   #24
Marshall Stack
Classic Rocker

Gameroom cash: $10317
Give Thanks: 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wu View Post
'Raising kids is difficult because you always feel like you are failing.....'

as to music most people latch onto the sounds of their own generation...but my daughters do like some classic rock and so does my granddaughter but they mostly listen to music from their time frames. and now. I'm into prog rock and they aren't really into that at all....except maybe Pink Floyd which they all seem to like.
Shoot! I've worn the fail T. Shirt and used it as a car cloth... I've tried not to infect their clean slate with years of my shite.... but I smile when I hear them repeat my stuff... 30 years on!
All three play instruments and my middle lad dug Black Uruhu from aged 13, my Daughter is off to see the Chili's next week and my big lad is coming with me to see Herbie Hancock.... diversity without the woke!
Marshall Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
These Users say Thanks to Marshall Stack:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #25
Foxhound
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Stack View Post
Musically I'm proud to say that all 3 own hi-fi systems and enjoy a vast smorgasbord of sound.....though all 3 don't like Yes.... so clearly I've failed!!??
Either that or your kids have good taste in spite of it all.